Variables in task templates
You can use variables in the names and descriptions of tasks. A variable takes the form of a field from a task or other object, contained in double curly brackets.
Example: the variable that stores the current date:
Variables are added to task templates when creating or editing templates. When you create a task using a template, each variable's value at the time the task is created will be used in place of the variable.
Adding variables to task templates
In the interface for creating a template, there's a link above the task name that leads to a list of available variables:
Among the variables available are
- about 30 system variables that let you display time, date, day of the week, month, and year, in various formats;
- all variables having to do with the tasks, including variables for each custom field;
- variables for each field of any directory that is used in task fields;
- all variables having to do with the project each task is created in, including custom project fields;
- all variables having to do with task counterparties, including any data from client cards;
- all variables having to do with the parent task of the current task, including data from its counterparty or directories used in it.
When you create a task using a template, each variable's value at the time the task is created will be used in place of the variable.
Examples of using variables
Variables can be used to number incoming requests:
And for getting requests with numbers in their name, regardless of how they were created:
For distinguishing between typical tasks in various projects
- Using a custom project reference name field:
Getting tasks with project reference names:
For naming periodic tasks:
for setting intuitive names for recurring tasks:
- Variables are replaced with specific values one time when a task is created from a template.
- If a task made based on a template is created as a Draft, the variables in the task will be replaced with values when the task is switched to working status.
- Variables in tasks are available only in paid and premium accounts.